Marc Cucurella is set to officially become a new Chelsea player.
The English side are hoping an offer of 68 million euros will be enough to sign the Brighton full-back, who would pen a cpntract that runs until June 2028.
Manchester City failed to improve their 40 million pound offer… and that’s where Tuchel’s Chelsea have come in.
With the departure of Marcos Alonso on the cards and Chilwell underperforming, Cucurella emerged as a real ‘market opportunity’ that Chelsea were unwilling to pass up.
The Spaniard has needed just one season to treble his transfer fee… (he cost Brighton 18 million euros) and will go from a mid-table Brighton to an ambitious Chelsea who are aiming for the top with their new owners.
Chelsea‘s ‘new era’ is off to a strong start. First there was Sterling and then followed by Koulibaly, and now it’s Marc Cucurella‘s turn.
If the predictions come true, Chelsea will have spent more than 140 million euros on three players. And it doesn’t look like their business is going to end here…
Most expensive Spanish players
- Kepa Arrizabalaga 18/19 Chelsea 80m euros
- Marc Cucurella 22/23 Chelsea 68m euros
- Alvaro Morata 17/18 Chelsea 66m euros
- Aymeric Laporte 17/18 Manchester City 65m euros
- Rodri 19/20 Manchester City 62.7m euros
- Fernando Torres 2010/11 Chelsea 58.5m euros
- Ferran Torres 21/22 Barcelona 55m euros
- Diego Costa 17/18 Atletico Madrid 50m euros
- Gaizka Mendieta 2001/02 Lazio 48m euros
- Juan Mata 13/14 Manchester United 44.73m euros
Marc Cucurella has become the second most expensive Spanish signing in history.
The 68 million euros paid by Chelsea to Brighton for his services is only surpassed by the 80 million euros paid by the same London club to Athletic Club to sign Kepa Arrizabalaga in the 2018/19 season.
The Blues signed Alvaro Morata for 66 million in 2017/18.